Skill level: Easy
- 1 heaped tbs culinary lavender
- 175 g (6 oz) self-raising flour, sifted
- 50 g (1 3/4 oz) caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 25 g (1 oz) semolina
- 130 g ( 4 1/2 oz) unsalted butter, straight from the fridge
- Caster sugar, for sprinkling
1. Put the lavender and flour into a food processor and chop finely. Add the sugar, salt and semolina and whizz to combine. Finely chop or coarsely grate the butter into the mixture and whizz again until a dough forms. Squash into a flat disc, wrap tightly in clingfilm and chill for at least 30 minutes.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg. C., 350 deg. F., Gas Mark 4 and line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
3. Place the chilled dough between two sheets of fresh clingfilm and roll out to a thickness of 3-4mm.
4. Using a 5 cm (2 in) cutter, stamp out hearts or circles. Place on the prepared trays, spacing them at least 3 cm (1 1/4 in) apart, and sprinkle with caster sugar.
5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or less if the biscuits are very small. Sprinkle generously with caster sugar straight after taking them out of the oven, and leave to cool. Makes about 18 biscuits. Enjoy with a nice cup of tea or percolated coffee.